Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Kyrgyzstan is ranked 166th out of 180 on the world list of most corrupt countries

My ankle has started to hurt me a lot again. It got better, but now I limp a little again. I haven't done anything to make it worse, like falling into any more ditches, so I'm not sure what's going on. I just hope that I won't have to go to a Kyrgyz doctor!

Last night the power went out around 19:00, so I got to teach my last class by candlelight. My headlamp came in handy there and provided much more light than 2 measly candles. Instead of doing the actual lesson I had planned, the students wanted to talk about what we feared. There was a spider crawling up the curtain, so they got to laugh at me being scared of spiders. But since they're scared of snakes, snails, leeches, slugs, and ticks, spiders aren't such a wimpy thing to fear.

Today I went to Osh Bazaar with Mike and Evan. It's smaller than Dordoi, and instead of selling out of giant shipping containers, it's more like a small-town market place. I bought a kilo of wonderful strawberries for 70 som ($2), a bath towel for 150 som ($4) and 2 maps of Kyrgyzstan- provinicial and topographical (30 som/less than a dollar each!) I also tried Kvas, a nonalcoholic drink made from bread, and Tan, basically milk with salt and carbonated water. Neither were really my thing.

I got 3 things in the mail on Monday! I got my absentee ballot which I'm going to take to the US Embassy to mail sometime in the next week, a package from my mom with some wonderfully warm wool mittens, and the cutest lovey letter from Aissa. I love mail so you all should write to me too!!

Fall is beautiful here and it's great fun to just walk around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am just really entertained by the thought of your teaching with your headlamp!!!
Nick