Thursday, September 18, 2008

Russian

I had my first Russian lesson today. Didn't cover much, just greetings and how to introduce people to each other. My teacher doesn't speak much English, so I'm sure I won't get any linguistic definitions like I'd like. But she's nice and it's just one-on-one, so we can progress at whatever level I want. I meet with her MTThF 13:40-14:40 for the rest of this month, and then October will be figured out once my teaching schedule is set in stone. Lessons cost 100 som/ hour, which is less than 3 dollars. What a bargain compared to what it would be at home with a legit teacher- more than 25 dollars/ hour! I did my homework already, I had to write my own dialogue about saying hello, goodbye, my name, where I'm from, and introducing someone else. It took less than 10 minutes.

My stove isn't broken, I was just too scared to put the lighter close enough to light the stove. Now I've discovered that I can use a candle as the middle man and then it lights fine. So I have to go buy some food now, I've lived this entire week on one pot of chicken broth with noodles in it and part of the box of Wheat Thins that I brought from home. At this rate I will gain no weight this year!

No comments: