So I've been here a week. It's been a great week, even though I've spent most of my time by myself with nothing to do. I wanted this year to learn to be really independent, and that's what I'm getting!
On one of my many exploring-the-city walks, I happened upon a grocery store with no power. It was open, so I went in to check out how it worked with no electricity. It was really dark, and once you got a few aisles back, it was almost impossible to see very much. But lots of people were there, shopping away. I bought a Pepsi can just so I could check out, and they were doing the registers all by hand. Writing down the item, the bar code number, and then calling one of the three security guards to run and do a price check. Then they added it all up on a calculator. They all seemed very used to the whole process.
Technically I should find out my teaching schedule for October today, but that hasn't happened yet and probably won't happen at all. On Monday I'll go to the office and see if they know yet, and then I can start planning my first lessons!
I now know how to have a basic conversation in Russian. Today we started family members, and I have to write a composition about my family for Monday.
Tomorrow we're going to Ala Archa mountain/valley/national park (I'm not really sure which one). It's about 45 km from Bishkek. That's all I know. But no matter what it should be fun!
Bishkek usually has 247 sunny days a year, which means that tomorrow should be wonderful! It's finally cooled down to fall crispness, so it's perfect walking weather. There hasn't been a drop of rain since I've been here, but I don't know what the forecast for this next week is.
No comments:
Post a Comment