I have started "hanging out" with my students during the 10-minute break between classes. I sit outside and students come up to me to "talk." Since their English is still very basic, we have a lot of conversations like this:
"Hello teacher! Hello!"
"Hello!"
"What is your name?"
"My name is Anna."
"Teacher what is your name?"
"Anna..."
"What is your name?"
and so on. It beats sitting in the teachers' room by myself, bored out of my mind. Last week I had a quite useful conversation with students. A few girls sat next to me and on my lap and started touching my hair and my earrings and putting pine needles in my hand and tic tacs in my mouth. They pointed at random things and said the Turkish word, then asked "My name is...?" meaning, "what is this in English?" I learned a few Turkish words from them. Then they were able to ask me how old I was (and understood the numbers in English!)
Then, one girl hugged me really tight and said, "Mommy, yes" and smiled. Then she hugged me again and said, "Father, no" and made a really sad face. So even as 7-year-olds, they already realize that their dads never hug them and are unhappy about it.
Come on Turkish dads, hug your children! Learn something from the Teletubbies... BIIIIIG HUG!
1 comment:
Post a Comment