Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Back to School!

If there were no schools to take the children away from home part of the time, the insane asylums would be filled with mothers. ~Edgar W. Howe

(Note: if you have no interest in teaching, this is likely to be dry and boring. Sorry)

I started teaching again at the end of September. I arrived in Istanbul without a job already lined up because I'd heard that it was "a piece of piss" to get an English teaching job here. However, it took me more than 2 months to find a job that I actually wanted. I applied to dozens and dozens, didn't hear back from most, and the ones I heard back from were unappealing- 6 day work weeks, no weekends off, split shifts, classes until 22:00, etc. The job I finally accepted is split- 2 days a week at a pre-school, 3 days a week at a 1st grade, as I mentioned in my last post. In both cases, there is a Turkish-speaking English teacher for 4 lessons per week, and I am the "speaking" teacher for 2 lessons per class per week.

Both schools are private and expensive, so my students all come from rich families. There seem to be two types of rich people- the ones who are very Western and European, and the ones who are more Muslim and traditional. The families that send their kids to my school seem to be the more traditional ones- a vast majority of my co-workers and the mothers wear headscarves and dress traditionally- I bought long skirts but still feel like I stand out! At a parents' open house on Saturday, out of about 80 mothers, only 11 had their hair on view. It's so interesting to work in such a different atmosphere than my home life because I meet and interact with a group that I otherwise wouldn't. Central European-side Istanbul is very Western, so in my daily life in my neighborhood and in the center seeing hair is still the norm. However, once you get outside the center, many neighborhoods are traditional and headscarves are worn by most women. Atatürk decreed that headscarves are banned in all educational settings, so no teachers or students are allowed to wear headscarves. My co-workers take them off when they arrive at work, and put them on again before they leave. Some wear wigs during the day so that their hair still isn't seen, and Mike said that some of his students wear hats all the time. I wonder if the teachers are uncomfortable interacting with male teachers since it's probably the only time ever that men other than family see their hair. I'd like to have long discussions with Muslim women about the personal significance of the headscarf because it's so interesting to me.

At the pre-school, I teach 3 classes of 5-year-olds and 3 classes of 6-year-olds. The classes have 11 students, and the classrooms are all equipped in a Montessori way- colors, blocks, art supplies, pillows, fake kitchen, plastic toys, abacuses (abaci?), etc. The students split their time between sitting around a big table and sitting on mats in a circle on the floor. For the first month, I am sharing all the lessons with my co-teacher, Vahide. She does mostly classroom management while I teach. After this month, administration hopes that the students will have enough English and will be used to me so that I can manage the classroom on my own. Vahide will then have her own lessons at different times. Most of the students are great. Since it's their first exposure to English they are shy, but they have no problem repeating and singing along. Some kids clearly have learning disabilities and/or behavioral problems, but they are just allowed to do their own thing while the lessons are going on. I'm not sure what the best way is to deal with them... Anyways. For both grades there's an English book program with posters, pupil's books, stickers, songs, a puppet, flashcards, and interactive games. The book for 5th grade is an all-around bad book, so I've been supplementing the book with lots of coloring activities and other songs. There's not a lot of planning involved because the kids are happy with whatever they're doing, and they're easy to manage for the most part. Since Vahide is always around to discipline and translate when the kids don't understand, it's a very low-stress job so far. No one else at the school speaks English, so I'm mostly in my own world except when I'm around Vahide. But everyone is friendly and smiley and people always bring me tea and simit (Turkish sesame-seed bagels). Vahide and I are doing a lot of work making sure the parents know that their children are learning English (and getting their money's worth!). We set up an "English Corner" bulletin board where we post photos of the kids having fun in English class. We send out monthly letters to parents updating them on progress, and I even write a weekly blog post for the school's parents' website about all the exciting things we did the previous week. Hopefully the parents like all the work we're putting in!

At the primary school, I teach first graders, most of whom are in school for the first time ever. There are definite discipline problems, especially for me but also for their Turkish homeroom teachers. My co-teacher, Yasemin, teaches her own lessons so I am always alone in the classroom- no Vahide-clone to help me with classroom management :( There are 20 students in each class, and all the classes have a few bad eggs. There are small groups of boys who aren't interested in school at all and just like causing trouble. For some lessons the homeroom teachers stick around to make sure the kids are behaving, but it's even hard with the two of us- boys don't want to sit down and color, they want to throw things out the window. The first days were really hard for me because I wasn't prepared for them to be so naughty, but I've gotten used to it and am getting much better at managing them. We use a great book with a puppet named Freddie the Frog, and the kids really like Freddie. They like him so much they spend every minute of the lesson when my back is turned stealing Freddie off the desk and trying to pull his tongue out. Poor frog!

The hardest part in all of this is learning all the names! In total I have about 180 names to learn (plus all the teachers!), and they are the generation of Turks that go by their first AND middle name. Some examples of student names: Ibrahim Emre, Zeynep Sude, Elif Saadet, Mehtat Can, Burak Furkan, Hasan Ahmet, Ali Nihat, to name just a handful. In most cases it is not ok to just call them by one name. Even the ones without middle names are still a mouthful to pronounce- Necmettin, Neslihan, Dilemnur. Even when I remember their names they make fun of my pronunciation. The only way I can learn their names is to take pictures of them and study them at home- 2 lessons per week aren't enough to memorize names.


Even though I come home exhausted everyday with a sore throat from yelling and sore palms from hitting the desks to get their attention, it's a really great job. It's rewarding to see the students improving their English week-by-week, and I imagine that by the end of the year it will be amazing to see what progress they've made! I am learning new Turkish words everyday since the teachers and students speak very little English. So far I've got "be quiet" "children" and "teacher" down solid, now I just have to work on "sit down, shut up, stop throwing things at your partner, don't squirt your juice box all over the floor, stop playing tug-o-war with my puppet" and a few other necessary phrases. I work just 14 hours a week and earn about $1500, and get free breakfast and lunch at school. I do have an hour commute each way so that adds to the time, but I'm home by 4:30 and have all evening to hang out and relax and do nothing before the next day rolls around. And working part time at 2 schools makes the time pass faster. The first day at 1st grade every week feels like Monday, but it's actually WEDNESDAY! The students all seem to like me and always wave and shout hello when they see me in the hallways or the lunchroom and hug me a lot. It's hard to be angry at students when they give me a big hug and say "Hello Anna-Teacher!" I'm a sucker for lovey gestures...

I got a medicinal care package from my mom to prepare for a snotty, sneezy winter surrounded by children. I got cough drops, NyQuil, VapoRub, gummy bear vitamins (my fave!), Ibuprofen, and Sudafed. Hopefully that'll get me through flu season. Now all I need are care packages full of chocolate :)

No comments: