Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Cold Showers

On May 14th the hot water went off, and it's been just cold showers ever since. Hot water won't be back until June 14th, by which point we'll have bid Bishkek goodbye. The weather isn't warm enough yet to make a cold shower tolerable, so it's been pretty miserable.

Today I went to Dordoi Bazar with Mike, Josh, and Liz. I bought a new purse which is one thing that I actually need, since the one I got at Aissa's grocery store is falling apart. I also got some more souveniers. Liz is going to Istanbul tomorrow and took a backpack of stuff for Mike and me, so it's great that we got books and some other stuff out of the way. It will make our bags a lot lighter!

Packing is going to be terrible. As always, I have a lot of clothes, and have aquired more since I've been here. I also have jewelry, a hair dryer, a Kyrgyz rug, and other things that will add up. Combine that with the fact that I hate carrying backpacks full-stop, and travelling this summer will be Hell on Earth for me.

We got our Tajik visas the other day with no problems at all. We walked to the Consulate with good directions from our friend Michael, so we found the place okay, even though we had to walk by what looked like a marshrutka graveyard. But past the graveyard, there were lots of giant and beautiful NGO houses and the Tajik Embassy. We got a one month visa for 51$ plus 50 som, issued in one day. The only thing left to make our travel plans complete is to buy tickets from Tashkent to Istanbul. Maybe tomorrow we'll get that out of the way, and then we'll have all our pre-departure costs sorted!

Only 1.5 weeks left... Craaaaazy!

No comments: