Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Does anyone know an oral surgeon in Bishkek?!

My wisdom teeth are coming in and they have started to hurt me. A lot. I do NOT want to go to a dentist here for many reasons. 1) I don't want to end up with gold teeth. 2) I have lots of cavities AND need 4 wisdom teeth out, and probably can't afford all that, even if it is super cheap compared to America. 3) I can't take off from work so I'd have no time to recover. 4)I hate dentists full stop. 5) Kyrgyz healthcare in general. 6) I don't know any dental vocabulary in Russian. 7) My dentist at home said that my teeth are impacted and my mouth is small that it will be a very difficult operation for even the best American surgeon.

So it would be a disaster all around, but I don't know where I would get better care. Istanbul? Mike said that Hungary has good cheap dentistry, so maybe I can wait until September or so and pop into Europe from Turkey? Who knows. Blah.

Mike and I are leaving on a week's holiday on Saturday and going around Issyk-Kul. Hopefully Friday night we're going to see our friends' band playing. Then there's only one month left of teaching, which makes me sad! I love all my students now and I feel like I'm really getting into teaching. Hopefully we can find jobs in Istanbul that are as good as this one!

Winter is back again. It's gloomy and cold. I really want to get out of Bishkek!

Our boss is taking us to Issyk-Kul the 3rd weekend in May as a going away celebration, which should be great fun. Not sure yet where...

Crazy that I've been here 7.5 months! Where has the time gone?!

1 comment:

Jon G said...

I waited years too long to get my wisdom teeth out, and when they finally started hurting I still waited months. Yes, it was a difficult procedure (I got it done at UMN dental school for cheap), but in my opinion, it was better to wait months longer (and take Advil in the meantime) than to mess with bad dentists on the most difficult dental procedure you'll ever have. I avoided getting it done in Iraq on recommendation of the military dentists, for the reasons of infection, etc., not just the difficulty of the procedure. I would wait until you're in Europe. And don't pay more than $100/tooth if you can help it. :)